Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's a library! I mean, a girl!

One of the things I've looked forward to most about having kids - I probably day-dreamed about this much more than I ever day-dreamed about my wedding - is giving them their first books. From Good Dog Carl and Dr. Seuss to Fancy Nancy to Harry Potter, I can't imagine something more exciting than giving little baby Cates her first books.

I haven't registered yet, have no clue what type of stroller or infant car seat I want, and I haven't even glanced at baby clothes or diapers, but Pebbles has four books already! I'm starting her off strong with:

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane O'Connor
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
The Napping House by Audrey Wood
&& We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

Obviously those first two are a bit old for an unborn (or a newborn, or even a 1 year old) but they are just too fantastic not to purchase. Fancy Nancy teaches vocabulary and she's so wonderfully girly and the pictures are all covered in glitter. What's not to love when you're a little girl? Then there's Audrey Penn, who came to my elementary school when I was 8 and talked all about writing books and that's when I decided - I remember this moment vividly - that I wanted to be an author, and I've been writing ever since. All of her books have a special place in my heart as a result, and The Kissing Hand is one of the sweetest books out there for preparing kids to go to school.

Even as I write this post I keep remembering other books that I want to get for her - like The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore! Sandra Boynton! - and I'm pretty sure that she'll have more books than diapers by the time she's born. At least I have my priorities straight.

I'm trying to avoid thinking about chapter books yet because seriously, lets not get too crazy. She won't be reading those for about 5 years. I can wait to stock up on those, I really really think I can... try to. But does anyone have a recommendation or two for picture and board books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment